How to Find the Right LPN Program near Calico Rock Arkansas
Now that you have decided on a fulfilling vocation in the field of nursing, it’s important that you select a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Calico Rock AR that will deliver the proper education. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, apart from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in medical facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their functions do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will talk about in the following section. When starting their search for LPN schools, many potential nursing students begin with the ones that are the nearest to their homes or that are the least costly. Although tuition and location are important factors, they are not the only criteria that you should base your decision on. Other concerns, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important as well. There are various other questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But to start with, let’s take a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Calico Rock AR?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many functions that they complete in the Calico Rock AR health care facilities where they practice. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including Arkansas. Although they may be accountable for overseeing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and varied, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients requiring medical assistance is their domain. Every state not only controls their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their day-to-day job activities may include:
- Taking vital signs
- Administering medicines
- Setting up IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Collecting blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Helping physicians or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their job functions being regulated by each state, the medical facilities or other Calico Rock AR healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. In addition, they can practice in different specialties of nursing, which include long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Arkansas
There are generally two academic accreditations available that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that may be concluded in the shortest period of time, generally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma program. The other alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and usually require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides offering a higher credential and more extensive instruction, are that they provide more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Attending LPN schools online is emerging as a more in demand way to get instruction and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Calico Rock AR. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating solution to finding the time to attend classes for many students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your job and family commitments have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online LPN school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Programs
Now that you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Calico Rock AR as well as within Arkansas and throughout the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we already discussed, the location of the school along with the cost of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the initial two factors that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you obtain an excellent education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered for non-accredited schools near Calico Rock AR.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an exceptional education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Arkansas or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, contact the Arkansas school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some local Calico Rock AR healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Calico Rock AR healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing as well. Ask if the schools have associations with nearby Calico Rock AR community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Calico Rock Arkansas?
Calico Rock, Arkansas
Calico Rock is located in northwestern Izard County at 36°7′21″N 92°8′1″W / 36.12250°N 92.13361°W / 36.12250; -92.13361 (36.122612, -92.133481), on the north bank of the White River. It is bordered to the north by the town of Pineville.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.84 square miles (12.53 km2), of which 4.78 square miles (12.37 km2) are land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2), or 1.26%, are water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 991 people, 428 households, and 264 families residing in the city. The population density was 277.0 people per square mile (106.9/km²). There were 526 housing units at an average density of 147.0 per square mile (56.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.07% White, 0.20% Black or African American, 0.71% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.40% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. 2.22% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 428 households out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.8% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.3% were non-families. 35.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.85.
Choose the Right LPN Program near Calico Rock AR
Enrolling in the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse school is arguably the most critical first step to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are many variables that you need to consider when selecting a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, lifestyle, and economic situation. As we have stressed within this content, it is critical that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Calico Rock AR.
More Cities of Interest in Arkansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 5