How to Select an LPN School near Earlimart California
Now that you have decided on a rewarding career in the field of nursing, it’s important that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Earlimart CA that will provide the right training. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be searching for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, aside from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in health care facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their duties do fluctuate depending on the state they practice in, which we will cover in the next section. When initiating their search for LPN schools, many future nursing students begin with those that are the nearest to their residences or that are the least expensive. Although tuition and location are significant considerations, they are not the only criteria that you should base your decision on. Other factors, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important also. There are additional questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will discuss later in this article. But to start with, let’s have a look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Earlimart CA?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many different functions that they complete in the Earlimart CA medical facilities where they practice. As their titles signify, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including California. Although they may be responsible for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves typically work under the supervision of either an RN or a doctor. The medical facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anywhere that you can find patients requiring medical care is their dominion. Each state not only regulates their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their day-to-day job activities might include:
- Taking vital signs
- Administering medicines
- Starting IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Managing patient records
- Supporting doctors or RNs with procedures
In addition to their work functions being controlled by each state, the health care facilities or other Earlimart CA healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. In addition, they can work in different specialties of nursing, including long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in California
There are principally two academic credentials offered that provide training to become an LPN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest time period, typically about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The other option is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and usually require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to providing a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the core curriculum adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN programs online is emerging as a more favored way to obtain instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Earlimart CA. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more practical approach to finding the time to attend classes for many students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your job and family obligations have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN school will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges near Earlimart CA as well as within California and throughout the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a workable list. As we earlier mentioned, the location of the school as well as the expense of tuition are probably going to be the primary two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection compares to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program in addition to the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping verify that you obtain a quality education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools near Earlimart CA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for LPNs vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an outstanding education, but also preps you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the evaluations are for all of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. In addition, contact the California school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some local Earlimart CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Earlimart CA medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing also. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with local Earlimart CA community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Earlimart California?
Community members changed its name to Earlimart in 1910, choosing that name because the variety of melons grown by local farmers ripened early, and thus were considered “early to market.” Hence “earli-mart.” Tulare County's Earlimart branch library was established in October, 1914 in the Alila School.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Earlimart had a population of 8,537. The population density was 4,052.8 people per square mile (1,564.8/km²). The racial makeup of Earlimart was 3,193 (37.4%) White, 67 (0.8%) African American, 45 (0.5%) Native American, 536 (6.3%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 4,303 (50.4%) from other races, and 393 (4.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7,805 persons (91.4%).
There were 1,946 households, out of which 1,350 (69.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,201 (61.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 369 (19.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 166 (8.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 169 (8.7%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 3 (0.2%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 174 households (8.9%) were made up of individuals and 86 (4.4%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.39. There were 1,736 families (89.2% of all households); the average family size was 4.57.
The population was spread out with 3,416 people (40.0%) under the age of 18, 1,044 people (12.2%) aged 18 to 24, 2,234 people (26.2%) aged 25 to 44, 1,334 people (15.6%) aged 45 to 64, and 509 people (6.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.1 males.
Choose the Right LPN School near Earlimart CA
Picking the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is perhaps the most important first step to beginning a new career in the medical care field. There are numerous aspects that you must consider when selecting a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have highlighted in this post, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become an LPN in Earlimart CA.
More Cities of Interest in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 22