How to Pick an LPN Program near Menlo Georgia
Now that you have chosen a fulfilling vocation in the field of nursing, it’s imperative that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Menlo GA that will furnish the necessary instruction. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, other than the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in medical facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their functions do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will talk about in the following section. When starting their search for LPN schools, many future nursing students begin with those that are the closest to their residences or that are the least expensive. Even though cost and location are significant points to consider, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your selection on. Other variables, such as if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important as well. There are additional questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But first, let’s look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Menlo GA?
Licensed Practical Nurses have numerous duties that they accomplish in the Menlo GA health care facilities where they practice. As their titles imply, they are required to be licensed in all states, including Georgia. Although they may be responsible for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves normally work under the supervision of either an RN or a doctor. The medical care facilities where they work are numerous and varied, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients in need of medical assistance is their domain. Every state not only regulates their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their daily work functions might include:
- Measuring vital signs
- Administering medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Helping doctors or Registered nurses with procedures
In addition to their job responsibilities being regulated by each state, the health care facilities or other Menlo GA healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. In addition, they can work in different specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Georgia
There are essentially two scholastic credentials available that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that can be concluded in the shortest time period, typically about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and usually require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the core curriculum adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Attending LPN schools online is emerging as a more popular way to obtain instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Menlo GA. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare facility. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating answer to finding the time to attend classes for some students. Pertaining to tuition, a number of online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus alternatives. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your job and family obligations have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online LPN program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can utilize the following pointers to start narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges near Menlo GA as well as within Georgia and throughout the United States. So it is essential to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier mentioned, the site of the school as well as the cost of tuition are probably going to be the initial two factors that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. Aside from helping confirm that you get a premium education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not offered for non-accredited schools near Menlo GA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an outstanding education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Georgia or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. In addition, check with the Georgia school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some nearby Menlo GA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Menlo GA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Menlo GA community hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Menlo Georgia?
A post office called Menlo has been in operation since 1886. The city was established in the early 1880s, and incorporated in 1903. The city's founder, Captain Andrew Lawrence, named it after Menlo Park, New Jersey, in honor of inventor Thomas Edison.
Menlo is located at the base of the Cumberland Plateau in western Chattooga County. It lies just over a mile east of the Alabama border. Georgia State Route 48 runs through the center of town, leading east 8 miles (13 km) to Summerville, the Chattooga County seat, and northwest 3 miles (5 km) to Cloudland atop Lookout Mountain. SR 337 leads northeast through the Broomtown Valley 20 miles (32 km) to LaFayette.
As of the census of 2000, there were 485 people, 229 households, and 141 families residing in the city. The population density was 622.5 people per square mile (240.1/km²). There were 251 housing units at an average density of 322.2 per square mile (124.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.49% White, 3.30% African American, and 0.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.41% of the population.
There were 229 households out of which 23.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.6% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.70.
Pick the Right LPN Program near Menlo GA
Enrolling in the right Licensed Practical Nurse school is perhaps the most critical step to starting a new career in the health care industry. There are a number of aspects that you must consider when deciding on a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have emphasized in this article, it is important that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become an LPN in Menlo GA.
More Cities of Interest in Georgia
Business Results 1 - 10 of 12