How to Enroll In an LPN School near Riceboro Georgia
Once you have chosen a fulfilling career in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you find a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Riceboro GA that will deliver the necessary education. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, apart from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. But their functions do vary depending on the state they practice in, which we will address in the next segment. When starting their search for LPN schools, many future nursing students start with those that are the nearest to their houses or that are the least costly. While tuition and location are important points to consider, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your selection on. Other concerns, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are very important too. There are additional questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will cover later in this article. But first, let’s have a look at the job of an LPN and what is involved in the instruction and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Riceboro GA?
Licensed Practical Nurses have many tasks that they perform in the Riceboro GA medical facilities where they are employed. As their titles indicate, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including Georgia. Although they may be responsible for overseeing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves typically work under the oversight of either an RN or a doctor. The healthcare facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can encounter patients seeking medical attention is their dominion. Each state not only regulates their licensing, but also what functions an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their routine job functions might include:
- Checking vital signs
- Administering medications
- Starting IV drips
- Observing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Supporting doctors or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their occupational functions being regulated by each state, the medical facilities or other Riceboro GA healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. Also, they can work in various specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in Georgia
There are essentially two scholastic accreditations available that provide education to become an LPN. The one that can be finished in the shortest amount of time, generally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma program. The second alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and generally require 2 years to complete. The advantage of Associate Degrees, besides providing a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Attending LPN schools online is growing into a more preferred way to obtain instruction and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Riceboro GA. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs require a certain amount of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more accommodating approach to finding the time to attend classes for some students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your work and family obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Questions to Ask LPN Programs
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your options. As you probably realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges near Riceboro GA as well as within Georgia and throughout the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a workable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school and the price of tuition are probably going to be the primary two things that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program in addition to the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. In addition to helping ensure that you get a quality education, it may help in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools near Riceboro GA.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only delivers an excellent education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Georgia or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. In addition, get in touch with the Georgia school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some nearby Riceboro GA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Riceboro GA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with nearby Riceboro GA community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Riceboro Georgia?
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 809 people residing in the city. The racial makeup of the city was 90.6% Black, 5.9% White, 0.1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander and 1.6% from two or more races. 1.6% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 736 people, 256 households, and 190 families residing in the city. The population density was 66.4 people per square mile (25.6/km²). There were 292 housing units at an average density of 26.3 per square mile (10.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 10.33% White and 88.72% African American.
There were 256 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.5% were married couples living together, 21.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 23.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.42.
In the city, the population was spread out with 29.9% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 98.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.1 males.
Choose the Right LPN School near Riceboro GA
Enrolling in the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is potentially the most critical step to starting a new career in the health care industry. There are many aspects that you need to take into account when choosing a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and economic status. As we have stressed in this post, it is critical that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Riceboro GA.
More Cities of Interest in Georgia
Business Results 1 - 10 of 34