How to Select an LPN School near New Egypt New Jersey
Now that you have decided on a rewarding career in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you choose a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near New Egypt NJ that will furnish the necessary education. If you live in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, except for the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both perform the same job functions and work in health care facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their duties do fluctuate depending on the state they practice in, which we will cover in the following section. When initiating their search for LPN schools, many potential nursing students start with those that are the nearest to their homes or that are the least expensive. Even though cost and location are relevant factors, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other concerns, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are extremely important as well. There are even more questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will address later in this article. But first, let’s take a look at the function of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in New Egypt NJ?
Licensed Practical Nurses have a number of functions that they complete in the New Egypt NJ medical facilities where they are employed. As their titles signify, they are required to be licensed in all states, including New Jersey. Even though they may be accountable for supervising Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves usually work under the oversight of either an RN or a doctor. The healthcare facilities where they work are numerous and diverse, for example hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Anyplace that you can find patients in need of medical care is their dominion. Each state not only controls their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their everyday job activities may include:
- Checking vital signs
- Providing medications
- Setting up IV drips
- Overseeing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Assisting physicians or Registered nurses with procedures
Along with their job responsibilities being controlled by each state, the health care facilities or other New Egypt NJ healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job duties within those parameters. Additionally, they can practice in different specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in New Jersey
There are basically two scholastic accreditations offered that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that may be finished in the shortest time frame, normally about 12 months, is the certificate or diploma program. The 2nd option is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and typically require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with offering a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the type of credential you seek, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC warrants that the course of study properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN programs online is becoming a more favored way to receive training and earn a nursing certificate or degree in New Egypt NJ. Some schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating solution to finding the free time to attend school for many students. Pertaining to tuition, a number of online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your job and household responsibilities have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask LPN Schools
Now that you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably are aware, there are many nursing schools and colleges near New Egypt NJ as well as within New Jersey and throughout the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to choose from to ensure that you will have a manageable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school and the price of tuition are probably going to be the initial two points that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping verify that you obtain an excellent education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not offered for non-accredited schools near New Egypt NJ.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an exceptional education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for New Jersey or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit internet rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. Additionally, get in touch with the New Jersey school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some local New Egypt NJ healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the New Egypt NJ healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to acquire experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with nearby New Egypt NJ community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in New Egypt New Jersey?
New Egypt, New Jersey
New Egypt is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Plumsted Township, in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 2,512.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 4.071 square miles (10.543 km2), including 4.015 square miles (10.398 km2) is land and 0.056 square mile (0.145 km2) of water (1.38%).
The community has a volunteer fire station, a first aid station, and a police department. New Egypt has a supermarket, a funeral home, the New Egypt Market Place (formerly the IGA), a Dance Studio, two barber shops, an auto body (New Egypt Auto Body), two diners, a general store and a few other small stores downtown. It is also home to seven churches: Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Bible Baptist Church, Church of Christ, Church of the Nazarene, New Egypt United Methodist Church, Plumsted Presbyterian Church, and The Christian Fellowship Church of New Egypt. Oakford Lake is located in the middle of the town. In the early 1900s the location thrived as a tourist and vacation attraction.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 2,512 people, 902 households, and 652.1 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 625.7 per square mile (241.6/km2). There were 972 housing units at an average density of 242.1 per square mile (93.5/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.44% (2,297) White, 1.99% (50) Black or African American, 0.84% (21) Native American, 0.96% (24) Asian, 0.08% (2) Pacific Islander, 3.11% (78) from other races, and 1.59% (40) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.51% (264) of the population.
Pick the Right LPN School near New Egypt NJ
Deciding on the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is perhaps the most important first step to beginning a new career in the medical care industry. There are various factors that you need to take into account when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have highlighted within this content, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in New Egypt NJ.
More Cities of Interest in New Jersey
Business Results 1 - 10 of 283