How to Choose an LPN School near Travelers Rest South Carolina
Now that you have chosen a rewarding career in the field of nursing, it’s important that you find a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program near Travelers Rest SC that will provide the right training. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no distinction, apart from the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both undertake the same job functions and work in health care facilities under the guidance of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their responsibilities do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will talk about in the following section. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many prospective nursing students start with those that are the closest to their homes or that are the least expensive. Even though tuition and location are relevant factors, they are not the only criteria that you should base your selection on. Other concerns, for instance if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are very important as well. There are various other questions that you should ask prospective schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will address later in this article. But first, let’s look at the job of an LPN and what is involved in the education and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Travelers Rest SC?
Licensed Practical Nurses have a number of duties that they complete in the Travelers Rest SC health facilities where they work. As their titles signify, they are mandated to be licensed in all states, including South Carolina. While they may be responsible for monitoring Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves usually work under the direction of either an RN or a doctor. The healthcare facilities where they work are numerous and varied, including hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can encounter patients requiring medical treatment is their domain. Every state not only regulates their licensing, but also what duties an LPN can and can’t perform. So based on the state, their everyday job activities may include:
- Taking vital signs
- Administering medications
- Initiating IV drips
- Observing patients
- Getting blood or urine samples
- Maintaining patient records
- Helping doctors or RNs with procedures
In addition to their occupational functions being governed by each state, the medical facilities or other Travelers Rest SC healthcare providers where LPNs work can further limit their job roles within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in different specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in South Carolina
There are principally two scholastic credentials offered that provide education to become an LPN. The one that can be completed in the shortest period of time, generally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma course. The other alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are broader in nature than the diploma alternative and commonly require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, along with providing a higher credential and more comprehensive training, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you pursue, it should be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the syllabus properly prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
LPN Programs Online
Enrolling in LPN programs online is growing into a more in demand way to get instruction and earn a nursing certificate or degree in Travelers Rest SC. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient solution to finding the free time to attend classes for many students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. And so if your work and family obligations have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online LPN school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Questions to Ask LPN Schools
Once you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, and if you will attend classes on campus or online, you can utilize the following pointers to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Travelers Rest SC as well as within South Carolina and throughout the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a workable list. As we previously discussed, the site of the school and the cost of tuition are probably going to be the primary two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program as well as the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping verify that you get a quality education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are oftentimes not provided for non-accredited schools near Travelers Rest SC.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an excellent education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for South Carolina or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating services to see what the reviews are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. Additionally, check with the South Carolina school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some nearby Travelers Rest SC healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a good reputation within the Travelers Rest SC medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with nearby Travelers Rest SC community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Travelers Rest South Carolina?
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Travelers Rest is a city in Greenville County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 4,576 at the 2010 census, up from 4,099 in 2000. The population was an estimated 4,994 in 2015. It is part of the Greenville–Mauldin–Easley Metropolitan Statistical Area. Travelers Rest is located between the Blue Ridge Mountains and Greenville, the primary city of the Upstate region of South Carolina. The campus of Furman University is located just south of the city limits of Travelers Rest, but the university retains a Greenville address based on its ZIP code. The name "Travelers Rest" came from the fact that it is situated close to the border with the North Carolina mountains. Travelers would stop for a moment in the town before they began the difficult journey into the mountains. Travelers would often have to spend the winter there, waiting for the snow to clear in the mountains before continuing northward.
The John H. Goodwin House and George Salmon House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A marker has been placed at the site of the home of Dicey Langston, regarded as a "heroine in the American Revolution", home on Tigerville Road.
Travelers Rest is located north of the center of Greenville County at 34°58′12″N 82°26′16″W / 34.97000°N 82.43778°W / 34.97000; -82.43778 (34.970100, -82.437814).U.S. Route 276 passes through the center of town as Main Street, leading northwest 25 miles (40 km) to the North Carolina border at the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains north of Caesars Head and south 9 miles (14 km) to the center of Greenville. U.S. Route 25 passes through the east side of the city, leading north 30 miles (48 km) to Hendersonville, North Carolina, and south 12 miles (19 km) to Interstate 185 to the west of Greenville.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,099 people, 1,563 households, and 1,137 families residing in the city. The population density was 930.8 people per square mile (359.7/km²). There were 1,729 housing units at an average density of 392.6 per square mile (151.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 77.36% White, 18.30% African American, 0.27% Native American, 1.22% Asian, 1.68% from other races, and 1.17% from two or more races. 4.22% of the population were of Hispanic or Latino ethnicity.
Choose the Right LPN Program near Travelers Rest SC
Choosing the ideal Licensed Practical Nurse program is probably the most important step to launching a new career in the health care industry. There are various aspects that you need to think about when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career objectives, obligations, and economic status. As we have pointed out within this article, it is essential that you select an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Travelers Rest SC.
More Cities of Interest in South Carolina
Business Results 1 - 10 of 90