How to Find the Right LPN School near Red House West Virginia
Now that you have decided on a rewarding vocation in the field of nursing, it’s essential that you locate a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) school near Red House WV that will deliver the right training. If you reside in Texas or California, then you will be looking for a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) school instead. There is no difference, other than the names, between an LPN and an LVN. They both carry out the same job functions and work in healthcare facilities under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Doctors. However their functions do differ depending on the state they practice in, which we will address in the following section. When beginning their search for LPN schools, many potential nursing students begin with those that are the nearest to their homes or that are the least costly. Even though price and location are significant factors, they are not the only qualifications that you should base your decision on. Other concerns, for example if the schools are accredited or have high pass rates on the licensing exam are very important also. There are various other questions that you should ask potential schools before enrolling in an LPN program that we will talk about later in this article. But to start with, let’s have a look at the role of an LPN and what is involved in the training and licensing process.
What is an LPN in Red House WV?
Licensed Practical Nurses have numerous tasks that they perform in the Red House WV health facilities where they work. As their titles signify, they are required to be licensed in all states, including West Virginia. Although they may be responsible for overseeing Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), they themselves generally work under the guidance of either an RN or a doctor. The medical facilities where they work are numerous and assorted, such as hospitals, medical clinics, schools, and long-term care facilities. Virtually any place that you can find patients seeking medical attention is their dominion. Every state not only regulates their licensing, but also what work activities an LPN can and can’t perform. So depending on the state, their day-to-day work functions might include:
- Checking vital signs
- Giving medicines
- Setting up IV drips
- Monitoring patients
- Taking blood or urine samples
- Keeping patient records
- Supporting doctors or RNs with procedures
In addition to their job duties being controlled by each state, the health care facilities or other Red House WV healthcare providers where LPNs work can additionally limit their job duties within those parameters. Additionally, they can work in various specialties of nursing, for example long-term care, critical care, oncology and cardiology.
LPN Programs in West Virginia
There are essentially two academic accreditations available that provide instruction to become an LPN. The one that may be completed in the shortest period of time, normally about 1 year, is the certificate or diploma course. The second choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, in addition to offering a higher credential and more in-depth instruction, are that they furnish more transferrable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be state approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Online LPN Programs
Attending LPN schools online is becoming a more popular way to receive training and acquire a nursing certificate or degree in Red House WV. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs require a specified number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating approach to finding the free time to attend classes for some students. Pertaining to tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by U.S. Department of Education recognized organizations. So if your work and household commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online LPN training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask LPN Programs
Now that you have decided on obtaining your LPN certificate, as well as if you will attend classes on campus or on the internet, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your choices. As you probably are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges near Red House WV as well as within West Virginia and throughout the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the site of the school and the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the first two points that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the certificate program along with the school are accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Aside from helping confirm that you get an excellent education, it may assist in obtaining financial aid or student loans, which are often not available for non-accredited schools near Red House WV.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for LPNs differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides a top-notch education, but also readies you to meet the minimum licensing standards for West Virginia or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the LPN schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Additionally, check with the West Virginia school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some local Red House WV healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the LPN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Red House WV medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to obtain experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing also. Check if the schools have a working relationship with local Red House WV community hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Considering LPN School in Red House West Virginia?
Red House, West Virginia
Red House is a small unincorporated community located in Putnam County in the U.S. state of West Virginia. The community is divided into two distinct areas: Red House (Proper) which follows the Kanawha River Valley along WV 62, and Red House Hill along WV 34 which is in the hills just off the Kanawha River Valley. The Red House Post Office is still in service and was founded on September 26, 1840. Some say the town was named for a red house which stood at the town site, while others believe nearby red rock formations account for the name.
The Red House Hill area is primarily a mix of hilly 20 to 100 acres (8.1 to 40.5 hectares) farms (including cattle, horses, limited tobacco production, corn, etc.), and small land plots whose owners are commuters to the Charleston and Huntington metropolitan and surrounding areas.
Due to the extremely winding mountain terrain, WV 34 is a very dangerous road for a 21-mile stretch from its junction with WV 62 to Kenna, where it intersects with County Route 21, which provides access to I-77. Because of the winding nature of WV 34 and the proximity to the Putnam County line, the road actually passes through Putnam County, Kanawha County and finally Jackson County, several times along the 21 mile length.
Public education in the area is served by Confidence Elementary School (located in Confidence), George Washington Elementary School (located in Eleanor), George Washington Middle School (also located in Eleanor), and Poca High School (located in Poca).
Choose the Right LPN School near Red House WV
Choosing the right Licensed Practical Nurse program is potentially the most critical step to starting a new career in the health care field. There are numerous factors that you need to consider when selecting a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career goals, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have pointed out in this article, it is essential that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and ambition to succeed, you can become an LPN in Red House WV.
More Cities of Interest in West Virginia
Business Results 1 - 10 of 16